Founders Cemetery

Blessed with another sunny afternoon, I found myself back to Founder's Cemetery yesterday. I cannot explain what the draw is for me, but I can tell you that I haven't been able to forget the unmarked grave sites. I knew that this time, I needed to say a prayer for those souls that had no one to grieve over their resting place.
This head stone was badly worn and I was unable to read the markings other than "In Memory of". Notice at the bottom of the photo are a trio of little trinkets.
The addition of the trio of trinkets tells me that someone of this generation placed them there as a tribute to their family member.
This monument was placed in honor of Roswell King's family members. Roswell King went into business with a man named James Stephens Bulloch. Bulloch was the grandfather of Theodore Roosevelt and great-grandfather of Eleanor Roosevelt. A fact that I was surprised to read about.

A side note: Not many people know that Franklin D. Roosevelt considered Warm Springs, Georgia his retreat while in the White House. His modest house was the only home he ever owned. I digressed...sorry.
A closer look at the headstone tells his life story. Sadly, he lost both wives and all but two of his children. A scarlet fever outbreak was to blame. Tiny graves flank both sides of Roswell's monument.

My visit to Founder's Cemetery left me feeling more at peace. Perhaps the prayers helped.

Comments

Unknown said…
It sure does bring the past into the present in a strange way.

Have you thought of doing any grave/stone rubbings? They can be quite nice. I've actually seen them in museums. I rubbed my great grandfather's grave when I was in RI.

The "In Memory Of" is Charles Irvine Bulloch, aged 2 years and (?)
abb said…
Don't you just love old cemeteries? It's so important to chronicle tombstones while their visible...time does destroy many of them.
I mayhave asked you this before...Would you consider adding your tombstone photos to www.findagrave.com?

Here's my findagrave page: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=mr&MRid=46853885
Mental P Mama said…
I knew Annie would be all over it! How beautiful....
Chere said…
I too was going to suggest a rubbing. Sometimes you can read them better. Older cemeteries hold so many answers and history. I love to visit the graves of my family long gone. A lot of my family is buried in Westview Cemetery in West End, Ga. Thanks for sharing your discovery of history with us.
Chere said…
I too was going to suggest a rubbing. Sometimes you can read them better. Older cemeteries hold so many answers and history. I love to visit the graves of my family long gone. A lot of my family is buried in Westview Cemetery in West End, Ga. Thanks for sharing your discovery of history with us.
RSusanna said…
I love those pictures and thanks for sharing your outing and the history.
Jeannelle said…
Hey, that's great you went back again to this special place.

Popular posts from this blog

A Peak at 2010 for Fellow Taureans

Christmas in July Give A Way