Jump In With Both Feet

My hubby and I took our very first cruise for our 25Th anniversary. Hubby tried many attempts to go on a cruise, but I always thought of one hundred fifty two reasons not to go. Secretly, I was a little uncertain, well, I'll confess, the word was scared. I was scared to step foot on a ship. He finally broke me and I succumbed to his wishes. In November of 1997, we sailed on The Splendor of the Seas.
There was much preparation for this trip. Lots of shopping. Dieting. Yet, more shopping. The most important aspect of this new life experience was that we decided to jump in with both feet and have the best time humanly possible. We planned on being the life of the party. We both agreed, after all, we would never see these people again so why not? Or so we thought...
And party we did! We danced the night away. Gambled for the very first time. Took wild and crazy excursions. Experienced Carlos and Charlies' in Cozumel. Made friends with every bartender on the ship. In the midst of all this fun and frivolity, we became friends with our table mates.
Turns out, Royal Caribbean placed 3 couples at the same table who were all celebrating anniversaries. We had two at 25 years and one 15 year anniversary. Throw in a couple on their honeymoon and you have a great mixture of personalities. We adopted a young gal, also from Atlanta, who cruised on her own. She just passed her CPA and the cruise was her gift to herself.
During the dinner hour, our table was heard from every corner of the great dining room. Where we loud? You could say that. They say laughter helps the digestive system. Let me tell you no one experience tummy overload from the grand cuisine on this ship. Somehow, these once seven strangers just melted together. It was MAGIC! Linda and Joe from Philly are on the left. Our adopted friend from Atlanta, Sandy, joined our group. There is Hubby and I in the middle. Lastly, Irene and Steve from LA.
Over the course of the years, we were all in touch. Sadly, only Linda and Joe still remain in contact. These are a great couple of people who have remained close although we are miles apart.
Thanks to Linda, she emailed this group photo to me a few days ago. With this picture, all of the great memories came pouring back to the front of my brain.
Cruising is so much fun. And I guess one can approach the cruise experience from many angles. But honestly, our strategy was perfect for us. So if you ever have the chance to cruise the Caribbean or the Mediterranean or even Hawaii, jump in with both feet. You will not be sorry.

Comments

shara said…
I have not been on a cruise- yet. Maybe someday. When I graduated w/ my Masters a few years ago. my group wanted to go on a cruise. We didn't, and I ws secretly relieved! I am scared as well! And, I am a therapist!!! AH! What is up w/ that!
Jo said…
Omigosh! I have always wanted to do that. I love boats of any kind, rowboats, motorboats, sailboats, ferries. The closest I have come to a cruise is the two-hour ferry ride to Vancouver Island.

You must have had so much fun...!
Unknown said…
I love cruises. I've done the Mexican Riviera, Caribbean, and Alaska. You can't beat the fun on a cruise ship anywhere else..or the food.
Mental P Mama said…
I love it! i am a cruiseaphobe too. But you never know....
Sue said…
Hi Deb...I have never been on a cruise...I hate boats!! My parents on the other hand went on over 15 cruises and just adored them. My mother was always entering their "wacky costume" contests and winning. My father I'm sure pretended he didn't know her....They were a hoot.
Laura ~Peach~ said…
Thanks for the comment on my blog LOL I emailed you back :D
I am scared to get farther from shore than i can swim... not sure I would ever get over that fear...
Just wanted to tell you the prize kate won... it's BEAUTIFUL I hope you do decide to open an ETSY...I bet you could easily sell them.
I love hearing from fellow georgians and have had the pleasure of meeting a couple too! Blogging is a wonderful world!
I look forward to reading more about you :) Laura
brneyedgal967 said…
The only cruise I went on was in 1985 - and get this, it was a Russian cruise ship called The Leonid Brezhnev... I kid you not. I posted about it in November - "K is for KGB".

Sounds like you had fun and what a bonus to make friends that you still have!

Popular posts from this blog

A Peak at 2010 for Fellow Taureans

Christmas in July Give A Way