Christmas Traditions...And Some New Ones

Christmas memories are different for everyone. Some families have Christmas Tacos. Other families have traditional turkey and stuffing. Others even travel over the river and through the woods to Grandmother's house.
For me, I love to set a grand table. I want my family to expect the very best on the table because after all, they are worth every bit of effort I exude.

Over the past 20 years, I have collected Lenox Holiday China. Due to the expense, it takes a person that long to collect a complete setting for 12. Just between you and I...I didn't find all of my china, but there was enough for us to enjoy.

Being the oldest daughter, I was lucky enough to inherit my mother's sterling silver. I have been known to have as many as 3 forks and 3 spoons, but this year with all of the unpacking going on, I scaled back.

The linens on my table were gifted to me by my mother in law. I couldn't have selected a more perfect pattern if I choose it myself.

The red water goblets were purchased years ago at Crate N Barrel. Over the years a few have broke, but two years ago, my daughter and son in law found a couple of glasses that were a perfect match.

The plate chargers were a gift from a dear friend. The deep cranberry red perfectly compliments the entire table. My wine glasses were a gift from my dear sister.

In years past, I usually have a complete candle extravaganza as my table scape. It is so elaborate that we keep a phone near by in case we have to call 911! Since there are at least 8 boxes of "dining room" not unpacked yet, I was not able to bestow the table scape I had imagined. Don't worry, there's always next year.

This year, my entire menu consisted of Tyler Florence's Prime Rib, Cornish Hens with Sage Butter, Roasted New Potatoes with Rosemary, Cream of Spinach and Cream of Pearl Onions. This was all topped off with Pioneer Woman's delicious Rum Cake.

I guess you can say I am one of those cooks who is a risk taker. (or is it whom?) I'll try a new recipe for a crowd anytime (except risotto..which I will never master).

Don't forget the Christmas Give A Way. There are less than 20hours left to enter.

Comments

shara said…
That sounds wonderful! And how can forget the give-away!
Chere said…
I also love to set a grand table at Easter and Christmas. I love my silver, crystal and fine china. It is worth it to me to hand wash. Your menu sounds wonderful. Does Lenox have a baby setting for the Holly Berry? Baby Jack will need his own one day soon.
abb said…
Your table is beautiful! And the menu sounds delicious!
Pat - Arkansas said…
What a beautiful table! I hope your family truly appreciates the effort it takes to make this such a special time. The menu sounds marvelous! We had barbeque and the fixings, very non-traditional.
Your table is beautiful, Deb! I absolutely love this china pattern and have wanted it for many years. Dillard's has a sale going on where it is reasonably priced. Until our house sells, we must make do with what we have. I still like to set a nice table for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I found a good price on Ralph Lauren table linens and cute holiday napkins rings. The kids loved them, and of course that's most important. Our Christmas Eve tradition is finger foods. I made bite sized Beef Wellington, crab cakes, hot dips and our traditional shrimp scampi served with fresh crusty Italian bread. It was topped off with an assortment of cheese cake. And, let's not forget the tart Reisling wine - a perfect companion anytime!
Country Girl said…
This table, and your menu speak love to me, Deb. I adore it when I read posts such as this one.
Peace to you, my friend.
Unknown said…
You set a beautiful holiday table, and the food sounds yummy.

Happy New Year!
Lawsy Mercy said…
I have that same pattern! My wedding china was Lenox Eternal and the pieces complement each other so well. I love your blog!!!

Popular posts from this blog

A Peak at 2010 for Fellow Taureans

Calm Before The Storm