I Remember September 11

I was in a meeting. Conducting the necessary day to day business. It seemed like the right thing to do. After all, it was the normal routine. Little did I know there would never be that normal again.
The meeting ended at 9:18 am. My usual routine was to go into the engineering department and get customer updates from my team. The room was always a buzz of excitement, they were that type of people. I knew instantly that the vibe was different. On Marcus's computer screen was the frozen shot on the CNN website of the explosion into the first tower. The white board, which usually tracked important business information, now had the following information.
Planes Hijacked
American flight 11 World Trade
United flight 195 World Trade
American flight 77 unaccounted for
Delta flight missing
"We're under attack. The World Trade buildings were hit by 2 planes. Look at CNN."
I didn't believe what I was seeing. Marcus explained that he couldn't get any other information because the Internet is frozen.
Back into my office, my phone was ringing. It was my husband. "Do you know what happened?" "Yes" I said, "how bad is it?" "It's bad, very bad."
My team burst into my office and said they were going to the nearest TV. I couldn't stop them. I wanted to go myself. But I stayed at work.
I was stunned. Shocked. The phones did not ring. The office was empty. The employees found that person who had the "unapproved" radio in an effort to get some information.
I went to find someone conducting business. As I passed the VP's office, he motioned for me to come in. He was a New Yorker that transferred to Atlanta. He was pale and very serious. There were no words to exchange. I think I uttered "I can't believe what is going on". "I know" he said.
Just then, his phone rang. It was his wife. The first tower just fell.
How can this happen? How can the World Trade building fall? What exactly did that mean? It can't be correct.
I don't remember at what time I left that day myself. It was after the second Tower fell,after the plane hit the Pentagon and after the plane crashed in Pennsylvania.
As millions of Americans made their way home to safety, I was thinking that there would be 10,000 (the number being first recorded) Americans unable to make that trip home to safety.
The TV was filled with images that I couldn't accept. This looked like a Hollywood movie but I knew differently. All the television anchors were reporting the same horrific details.
That evening, we went to church. Much to my surprise, the pews were filled with people looking for the why of it all. We all wanted to feel some comfort that only your faith could bring us. That comfort never really enveloped me the way I wanted it to. The day was too overwhelming.
I will never forget. We will never forget.

Comments

Jeannelle said…
Thank you for this reminder. I had completely spaced off today's date. On 9/11, I walked into my house after taking my kids to school....the phone was ringing.....it was my mom telling me a plane had hit the World Trade Tower and the Pentagon......it sounded so unbelievable until I turned on the TV and saw the evidence. What a day.

Thanks for visiting my blog!
Anonymous said…
I remember 9/11, because my brother was in the first building that was hit. He was on the 72nd floor when the plane crashed into the 82nd. He got out, but my family, myself, no one could contact him, and we did not know.

I came home from work, on the way home the first building went down, as i walked thru the door, i saw the second building go down, and i fell in tears, knowing that my brother was gone. In reality he was five blocks away when the second building collapsed, hearing a banging explosion type noise, not knowing what it was (to close to actually see the collapse being blocked by other buildings).

Anyway, he made it home, and today is a day that will always be remembered, with tears, by me.
Beautiful tribute. I will never. ever. forget.
We all will remember what we were doing at that time, i for one wish I could forget!(it was in a dark time in my life)And I now have a son in-law who has been puting his lfe on the line ever sense! so YES remember our fallin, and praise those who keep us free!
Anonymous said…
i remember.

Popular posts from this blog

A Peak at 2010 for Fellow Taureans

Christmas in July Give A Way